Saturday, January 16, 2010

Long weekend

Hi everyone !!

Well ... I get a long weekend.... woohoo!!
Maggie yanked my wrist out again last night .... am seeing another cortisone shot in my future ... which I will try to put off as long as possible. Being of steroid makeup, we all know what that does to the BGs. I just finished the round of methylprednisone the beginning of this week, using up pump supplies faster than the norm. Now I only have one set left and am still waiting delivery of my supplies. Which means that as of today, I went back on the needle. My endocrin gal was not thrilled with my decision to go this route with the steroids, but supplies are very pricey and with the new year, comes a very large deductable. Got to do what you got to do.
Anyway ... it has me a little nervous as well requiring more finger sticks to monitor being on two different insulin, a long acting, and a short, fast acting. Usually, my pump runs continuously on a fast acting (Humalog) with a basal rate and I bolus on meals and corrections. This method of being on the needle does not give me the sort of control we like to have. Not only that, it runs the risk of even greater lows if eating does not coincide with meals, exercise, etc. So ... at least until Monday night, (I will place my last set, lasting 3 days) I will be a human pincushion, "pricking" my finger every 2 hours, and multiple shots 8 or more to keep a stable BG throughout a 24 hour period. It is the sleeping area that most concerns me, because many times, even with my pump, I roll over and think it is just a hot flash. I have not used a long acting insulin in over 12 years ... that too, raises concerns, but this is the sort of protocol that is used in the event of a pump malfunction ... I would have no choice without a backup pump. So .... I hope my supplies are here by Tuesday afternoon.

I stumbled upon that website WWW. sciencedaily.com from the JDRF website earlier today.
(See attached video clip and article posted earlier today) They have some very cool, very promising reading in regard to islet transplant, stem cell usage, and the future of not only Type 1, but several other diseases that will benefit from stem cell usage. (This is an area I really miss my mom for conversation, she was very interested in the science and progression of research on behalf of type 1, and had been for many years). I know she is with me on this venture. She had always been an advocate for me. With her fight with Parkinson's in the last years of her life, I just know she is smiling down on me ... go get 'em!! Show us what they will do. For her, she felt she was too old to pursue it, and her ability to do much was depressing and debilitating. I understood her position, but don't think for one minute I wouldn't want her here with me to see this project through. She went on to do wonderful things as well by her body donation and I feel this was the ultimate gift of unselfishness to better the world in the riddance of deadly, debilitating diseases. I hope to play my small part as well.

So ... that is it for tonight ... I am wiped out with not much sleep last night.

G'night to all !!
et

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bink,
    Still trying to think of something that might be worth posting, some interesting story. My brain is not really working as well as I would like it to. With the demands of work, I ponder lesson plans - even in my sleep ha. I will keep plugging away at the brain and try to find something worthy.
    I am glad you are feeling better with the breathing, but sad to hear about your wrist. Oh, the getting older thing is just grand, isn't it? lol.
    Be good,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting old is a bitch and with bad bones .. well .. perhaps I should have thought about a lap dog ... LOL ... but I so love my laboradors, especially my Magpie .. she just doesn't realize how strong she is with a lil'ole whimp like me.

    I appreciate you thinking about giving it a whirl ... I am still waiting on two people to step up to the plate ... hehehe.

    ReplyDelete