Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Complications

Good evening my followers .... LOL ....

I needed to laugh right there, as my lovely pup just had me doing circles around the island in the kitchen trying to get something out of her mouth she shouldn't have had in the first place. She knows she is in trouble when I yell .... and I yell when she has me (the so-called alpha dog) doing circles with no way out, pissed off. After barracading her with the bar stools, the chairs from the table, and a running vacume .... LOL .... I got what she had, a magnet, out of her mouth and she proceeded in defeat to her crate. Now I have a pounding headache as I think I have a cold, and it was sort of hard to breathe chasing her around for 20 minutes. Yes, I love my companion, but I sure will be happy when she throws on a few of those "dog years" and catches up with me and mellows out a bit.

Anyway .... thought I would come into the office and chill out for a bit. Topic tonight, complications. As I ate my dinner two hours ago, a cassarole I made last night, and has proceeded to make me sick to my stomach because it tasted so good, but doesn't digest as normal people do.

In 1995-96 I was diagnosed with a complication called "Gastroparesis," a paralized digestive system, also known as a motility disorder. At first, after a multitude of very unpleasant tests from head to .... well ... that area a foot or so from our toes .... LOL ... I was told by a gastroenterologist in Burlington MA to "invest in a good blender." Certain quotes I remember so vividly as they are such assinine comments to be made by a physician. Eating became a very mundane experience. Most of what I was eating at the time, was in a soft, liquid form due to the fact my digestion doesn't always happen. Like tonight, hehehe .... I made this awesome cassarole, italian sausage, rice, peppers, onions, mushrooms..... it was delious!! but it is killing me right now. I feel like I am about to give birth to that new found "FOOD BABY." Due to the fact what I eat, must be matched to an insulin bolus, it can be a juggling act to determine how long it "might" take to digest, this in turn can cause a crashing or exacerbation of my blood sugars. An example, Pizza !! I don't eat it, every time I do, it is like an automatic trip to the ER before the night is over. The fact that bread is a complex carbohydrate, it takes forever for my system to digest it. I don't eat a lot of bread. Over the years I have learned to tweek my diet to accomadate my lack of digestion. One would think I would be considerably thinner but .... not the case. Things can get "hung up" for days ..... (I'n trying to give you a picture here, are you seeing it, I hope so, cause I would hate to have to get graphic with you all here)

I did do the liquid/soft diet for a couple of years, and even today, would prefer to keep my nutrition either supplemental (of which I take two) and or liquid/soft grazing. For those that may be interested, I am a pretty cheap date ... LOL .... a salad, a bloody mary, and/or a perrier and I am pretty much set !! I have been on several motility drugs over the years to try and help this problem, the one that worked best for me was removed from the market due to "sudden death" and heart issues. Of course, then I was tried on Reglan, I had violent reaction to that and landed head first in a dryer at the apartment complex in which we were living at the time. I then did a 5 year run on Erythromycin ..... yes.... an antibiotic which usually makes people sick to their stomachs. I took one tablet before every meal and again at bedtime, the theory being that if you takes these meds prior to a meal, you will get things moving along, thus helping the digestion process along. Well .... guess it worked for a while, but with any long-term antibiotic use you run into other issues. Which were getting pretty old. Antibiotics can throw out the normal flora in the digestive tract giving way to other infections. So that was stopped after 5 years. That left nothing for me to do except some natural/herbal research. I added massive amounts of fiber in capsule or liquid form (because they help the process) ....


I have to cut this one short, but will continue in a while as Maggie is on the run again. Sorry, I just can't stay mad at her for very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment