Monday, May 30, 2011

An absolutely EXCELLENT article from the Boston Globe

The following article was sent to me by my cousin, Bridget, who has been one of my most faithful, humorous followers over the past couple of years, in part, because I think she "gets me." I hope she knows how much I appreciate all the sentiment, prayer, humor, and outpouring of love I have felt from her contribution to my fight.

She could not have forwarded this info on soon enough given my latest hit of breathing issues, and my having been in bed, or on the couch since I arrived home from work on Friday, and my daughter wanting to drive me the two hours to a Phoenix hospital in search of a diagnosis. I told her I would consider it after tomorrows ultrasound and potential biopsy. Not knowing if one has anything to do with the other, but having done a little more research into my past medical issues and what is happening now. On to the article ....

The article below, a research study by the Joslin Clinic in Boston, to where I too, was consulted on as a child being diagnosed in 1972, and again, when I was pregnant with my daughter, in 1988-89. I have to agree with a good portion of the article. The very first paragraph having been spoken to me and my parents shortly after my coming out of the coma. Was a tad harsh in my recollection, and I believe played a large part in my behavior as an adolescent.  As far as the "mother" statements in the article, I couldn't agree more. I know for me, my mother was the one who was willing to learn, put herself in heart wrenching positions, and no doubt, at times, wanted to kill me herself for being so difficult at times. The pioneering spirit of New England, and her own personal tragedies, gave to her the "this is it, let's deal with it" mentality. She too, would tell you today, that I put more than a few of those gray hairs on her head. We did, however, overcome our differences on my health, and my approach to my life and outcome of such, with respect and admiration, research and live and learn. This having been told to me many times over the years. I don't think anyone but a mother, could totally grasp the magnitude of such an affliction, or blessing as some would call it on a family. My father on the other hand, to this day, has no clue as to not only what I have coped with, what the disease process is or the potential outcome of a day-to-day existence, but believes that I can "throw up my insulin" if I get sick. What does a comment like that tell you about realistic comprehension of what was going on right under his roof, for so many years.

Thanks Bee, for tonights blog entry .... I was running out of bitches .... and this information is totally interesting too, given they are now looking into the stem cell area. I feel like a "trail-blazing" woman having gone beyond some of the US research to undergo my recent treatment against FDA approval, and know that there is hope for change, and cure if we could just get past some of the politics.

Enjoy the read:
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/articles/2011/05/30/joslins_study_of_50_year_diabetes_patients_indicates_what_has_made_them_survive_thrive/?page=1

Peace and Light
et

2 comments:

  1. That's a great artical in the Globe. So the US is finally getting around to the stem cell research. Too bad you didn't still live around here so you could take part in this study. I hope they find out what is causing you all this trouble breathing, swelling, etc.
    good luck at the doctors.
    Love and Prayers.
    Mom D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom D; The study is for type 1's who have had it for 50+ years, I am only at 39 in October. Not only that, Harvard Stem Cell Institute is privately funded, meaning they can pretty much do what they want with what they have. I received your card today; I thank you for your continued love and encouragement. I had an another ultrasound today, something was seen in regard to enlarged lymphnodes, as well as records received from my last ER visit a couple of weeks ago showing mildly elevated blood counts. I wish they would find out too, as I am frustrated and tired continuing to plug on. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete