Sunday, January 30, 2011

Treatment Overview

Good Morning my faithful followers!!!

Ok ... well ... today, is the worse day pain-wise I have had in a long time. The pain has been building and very steady over the past couple of weeks in great part due to the fact I haven't taken any Aleve in almost 2 weeks. NSAIDs have to be stopped prior to treatment. For many, you know I have been on multiple, if not most, pain meds over the years with no real relief and often times, side effects that could be potentially worse than the pain itself. My body hurts SO badly today that just moving makes me dizzy, nauseated, and wanting to throw-up. Most likely TMI for most, but this sort of pain can stop a person in their tracks. I have been dealing with chronic pain since 1995, and go through periods like this when stress levels are high, and pain meds are minimal to none. Last week at work, I have (along with a couple of coworkers) those bags that you can heat in the microwave to apply heat. Let's just say, between the 3 of us, we keep the microwave running ALL day long. I, need more than one bag at times, one for my shoulders and neck, and one for my lumbar spine. I have always tried to "keep it moving", but there are times, like today, that moving is truely something I can't do very well, and I have a TON of things to get done, and accomplished this week to prep for my trip. My attitude in this aspect as always been, keep it moving, don't complain, and just listen to my body. Today, I am seeing a nap in my very near future ... with heat on my spine, and no doubt wiping out the case of water I just opened yesterday.

Let's just say, the lack of any sort of pain med it certainly bringing to the forefront those "problem areas" in which I was told to tell the doctor about when undergoing my treatment next week.

In regard to the treatment, I would like to give you all a brief overview of what is going to happen, how, where, and what I have done to get here.

As you all know, this has been a long time coming, and not soon enough given the decline I have felt over the past couple of years. When my mom was ill, towards the end, I believe I was on autopilot, just going through what needed to be done and not paying much attention to my body screaming at me. All that sort of "family" stress has continued, only not in a state that has been even remotely rewarding. (That is not meant to be a derogatory comment). Caring for my mother, being part of her dying process was the most rewarding experience of my life next to giving birth to Hillary. It, and she, reinforced the grace under fire mentality, and the human factor that I would like to believe we all have. It was an experience, I will hold with me until the day I die.

With that being said, raising funds, awareness of not only Type I, but of the adult stem cell treatments being offered everywhere but here in the US, or at least that is how it seems. I had no idea that people would be so open to the knowledge I apparently have to offer ... LOL .... I am not a stupid woman. I do, however, have a very warped sense of humor, in which has worked incredibly well for me over the years in many ways. It helps keep me grounded, it helps keep me real, it helps others to see that in spite of what I deal with, I can and do still laugh. (Although, it would seem, to me, that my laughter is dimming, I feel it, I see it in my eyes). I don't want that to happen, and right now, with all that has happened in the past couple of months, and certainly in the past couple of weeks, has to keep me going, for a while. I want to prove to so many, mostly political, closed minded types, that this science is here, and we as Americans, should insist on being offered this sort of medical care, instead of bleeding those of us who kill ourselves just to keep alive, not including what others take for granted. To my "Angels" who made this dream, wish, fight, a reality, Thank you seems minor, I will be forever indebted to you for your generosity, love, and hopes right along with me for a better future. I am totally and completely overwhelmed with the love and support that has been shown to me. I have no idea, what it is that I bring to peoples lives to make them feel the way they do about me ??? Really, no idea .... I am not rich, I am not beautiful, I have few material things, I have a very warped outlook at times in regard to nature, the human body, and life in general. I know, that I often offend some, but ... really, I am just stating what most are thinking and are afraid to voice. I am not a fan of being politically correct, lay it out there, deal with it, get over it, move on!!! (oh, and don't forget to scrap that crap off your shoes before you move on, don't want anything leaving a stain on the future) ... LMAO ... (some of you will get that comment :D)

Ok ... well ... on Tuesday I will fly to TX, upon arrival I will take part in an orientation to prep for Weds. treatment. I am scheduled to undergo my procedure at 8:30. It will take approximately 4-5 hours start to finish. They will take blood (a new piece to the treatment). With this blood they will separate the PRP (protein rich plasma) and infuse some of the stem cells that will be removed to create a "cocktail" of sorts. This will be used on the "problem areas" I mentioned above. A new piece to the treatment, which I guess you could call a bonus, but we are paying for it as the cost of treatment went up to $12,500 from $10K when I first started this venture. Moving on, they will be removing adipose tissue (fat!!) from my abdomen and processing this to remove the dormant stem cells we all have, and as we age, the ability to utilize slows, or diminishes. When the process is complete (if you want more detailed, scientific definition, see some of my research links) they will infuse these now active cells back into my body via IV. the cocktail will be used as an injection method to pinpoint problem areask, such as my spine, neck, etc. I then return back to my hotel on the US side, and fly home to Phoenix on Thursday afternoon.

Seems pretty simple right .... ???? Tomorrow I see my local PCP, check on recent labs, get copies, place a plan for calls if and when I need when I get back home, locally. On Monday, Feb 14th, I will meet with my endocrinologist in Phoenix to adjust my pump and place a plan for "tweaking" my insulin intake as the stemmies get to work. This is the part I am so unsure of, that I can only pray, and do the best I can to monitor more closely. This sort of monitoring makes me want to stay close to home, like STAY HOME, until I know. Unfortunately, that doesn't pay the mortgage or the other bills and I must go back to work.

That is it in a nutshell ... I am not really scared of the treatment, or what may happen afterward as the positives so outwiegh the negatives of this procedure. It is the being alone and knowing how I can get now, am cautious as to how fast I could drop out and that scares me .... almost as much as I see the concern and helplessness on those around me when this happens and I am like "lights on, but no one is home" look and behavior.

All the prayers, good wishes, support, emotional and financial in which I have recieved is overwhelming, humbling ...and beyond my comprehension at times.

On that note, I can barely move, weather says we may get snow tonight, which is not helping my bone and muscle pain .... going to make myself a hot cup of tea, heat my bag and lay down for a while. Often times, just sleeping, helps my body rejuvenate to the point of functionality ... good thing it's the weekend.

Peace, Light, and much Love!!!!
et

1 comment:

  1. Feel better my friend. Sorry about the pain, but you will be feeling much better very, very soon. Positive light, love and cyber hugs are sent your way.
    Love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete