Friday, July 30, 2010

/Treatment tentatively scheduled September

What an afternoon it has been.

At 2:38 I received a phone call from a patient advocate out of Las Vegas. We were on the phone for over an hour with details, questions, explainations, itinerary, lodging, transport, follow up labs, etc. IT WAS ALL GOOD!!!

I am scheduled (confirmed once they receive my $2500 deposit) to undergo the Adipose stem cell treatment on September 14th at 8:00 AM. It seems almost too good to be true, but have heard from many people who have undergone this sort of treatment that the results are well worth it. The procedure will take 4-5 hours, they remove (liposuction) a golf ball amount of fat from my own body, spin it, clean it, remove the cells, and then infuse them back into my body via IV drip over a 2-3 hour period. All done in the same day, then they return me to my hotel suite in Brownsville to return back to Phoenix the next day. Minimal time out of work. Cost effective compared to the travel expenses figured out to do the San Francisco trip for 18 months with 45+ days of lodging. I would be a fool not to undergo this at this phase of my life. My endocrinologist here in Phoenix totally supports my decision to do this and will support and supervise me over the process. If in six months (that is the ball park timeframe given) we don't feel I have met optimal results, I can (and most likely will) undergo the placenta stem cell treatment for free. I opted to do the adipose first for a couple of reasons. First, the cells are from my own body, less rejection factor, it is showing very good results in diabetics (not really sure why? That is a research effort that was in its infancy), and ... if it doesn't produce the results I am looking for, they will do the other for free. works for me, as this way, I have a better shot with the two infusions of stem cells in my body in less than a year. Can only help, and hopefully, not only with my insulin intake, but also my bones and pain factors. This treatment has MANY positive outcome potentials!!!

I have looked into the airfare, very doable, and am tempted to book it now, but will wait to see if I am going to have a travel companion, or if I will go it alone. The 290 for ground services, due the night of arrival, for things like my hotel suite, transportation to and from the airport, the hotel to the clinic and back, breakfast at the hotel, an advocate with me at all times (even if I have a travel companion). It is well worth that to have them make all the arrangements. The treatment is $10K, minus the 2500 deposit. The deposit confirms my appointment, balance due after the procedure as I will have that opportunity after meeting with the doctor to back out.... WHICH I HAVE NO INTENTION OF DOING.

(30 minute break)

Just got of the phone with Hillary, she totally agrees with me undergoing this procedure. She is just concerned about me going alone. I told her, it would be nice to have someone with me who not only knows me, but understands the disease and what happens to me when I get that deer in the headlight look of the lights are on, but there is no one home. I will be VERY meticulous about my monitoring, and will ask for guidance from not only the doctor doing the procedure, but my own endocrinologist, Dr. Carrie Phillips in Phoenix. She has agreed to work with me on this as I had said before, I am running out of options, and I scare her. I doubt very much I will see any drastic results in the three day timeframe, but ... again, the monitoring will have to kick up a notch for the next few months to stay on top of it as my insulin needs drop.

Well ... I need to try and calm myself down ... I still have many other responsibilities, and a few added expenses now. I just know, in the long run, it is going to pay off, 10-fold.

Sleep well everyone!!
Will touch base again soon.

Peace and Light in Love
eliza

3 comments:

  1. Eliza,
    This is exciting news! I can't believe the many different types of stem cell procedures available. The procedure for the Adipose Stem Cell Treatment is amazing! I'm glad to hear you did your research well and that your current endo is ok with this.
    What an exciting day for you!
    Best Regards

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Things are looking up, as I knew they would. You will be feeling better in no time at all.
    Love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bink,
    I love your blog, your updates and your enthusiasm. Keep a good thought,
    Love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete