Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Good Morning ....

Well .... couple of things today.

First, to address the comment left by Rob in regard to narcotics. Thanks for posting Rob, (I don't know Rob, but am thrilled someone outside my circle finds this reading of interest). I too, was prescribed the vicodin for pain management of my fibromyalgia, and I do believe that narcotic medication should be monitored closely due to the addictive effects. However, when a medication doesn't work, to treat the pain and the withdrawal effects are not explained by the doctor, that is where issues can occur. I stopped taking the vicodin as prescribed due to my cardiac issues at the time, figuring one less thing in my system. The resulting headaches which were explained to me by my neurologist as "rebound headaches" were never explained by the prescribing physician. I will also note that I have come upon much of my education through constant reading, research, conversations with physicians, and personal experience. That being said, it has been found that narcotic pain relievers do not work in the treatment of fibromyalgia given the neural effects of the brain and body response. I currently take a large dose of Cymbalta (over a year now) and I must admit, that in all the years of being tried on medications from Neurontin, to anti-inflammatory drugs, tricyclic antidepressants, to heavy doses of muscle relaxants (A psychopharmocologist back east told me that he couldn't believe I could even stand up given the high doses of Flexeril I was taking daily) and narcotics, that this drug, an antidepressant, has produced the MOST EFFECTIVE relief of my pain symptoms. (It is also used to treat neuropathic diabetic pain, fibro being seen as an over-activation of nerves response to pain). That is pretty much all I can say about that, it has worked wonders. It relieves most of my pain, not all of it, but more than anything else has in 15 years, and the best part is my improved quality of sleep. That and my sleep number bed .... LOL .... best two investments I ever made!!! That is my take on the fibro comment.... Thanks for posting .... and best of luck with your management. We all have to be proactive in our care.

Next, will be doing some work from home today as I am heading to Phoenix for an endocrine appointment. Hopefully, no more depressing news will transpire in that area, at least nothing that I am not already aware of and working hard to alleviate. (with the transplant process). Two hours down, two hours back ..... I really don't mind driving .... but sometimes find it to be a lonely drive, and long given that my appointments don't usually last more than 30 minutes.

And lastly, for today anyway. ..... I was able to contact my cardiologist yesterday, they are getting me in next Thursday morning to address the stress test issue needed for the transplant finalizing. I so don't want to repeat this test, it is one of the most unpleasant encounters I have ever had ... it results in a very high level of anxiety and panic for me ..... I can get past the needles .... but that feeling of my heart pounding out of my chest and my head exploding .... and the impending "yackage" that comes when I just can't take the feeling anymore .... I guess as long as I don't have a coronary, I pass .... LOL ..... I think that sometimes, the anxiety levels that come with some of my encounters are more difficult to deal with (emotionally) than the actual physical pain and discomfort (of which I have had so much of in my life I think we actually become immune to a point). There are certain things that I just know are going to occur, ( like the lack of decent vessels to start a line in or get blood out of) that could delay any set time frame several hours ..... has happened on many occasions. Medical staff baffle at my apologies .... yet I have no control over what, and how, my body responds to this sort of stuff in spite of all the breathing techniques I have tried to come up with over the years. LMAO .... I think the best one I ever heard was in Tucson by a male surgical nurse, 2 hours into trying to start a line and having to call an anesthesiologist in to begin a line in my femoral vein, (groin) ..... he was amazed at how I could squeeze the shit out of some one's hand on the left side while totally relaxed on the right and still not being able to locate and isolate a vein for a line, I believe I suggested getting there from up my ass ...LOL ..... so much for the breathing technique, but my warped humor helped to alleviate some of the staff anxiety in which they were feeling pretty bad about not being able to accomplish their given tasks. It is in no way staffs fault that my body does not like to cooperate, but I so appreciate staff that takes my suggestions as to how to make the process easier and not offend their egos. I too, am an educated patient, minus the needle to aim or scalpal to cut. Anyway ... with any luck, the dobutamine stress test will get done before the end of December .... not exactly my idea of a wonderful Christmas gift, but I will take it. :P

On that note, I wish everyone a wonderful Tuesday !!!
Be safe !!
et

No comments:

Post a Comment